Summer Academy Preparation
Dear Summer Academy participant,
We are looking forward to having you at the Academy in Berlin. Our Academy theme focus on the role of meso organisations in Local Economic Development (LED).
On this page you will find:
Event information and travel tips
In order for you to be prepared, we have listed below some reading material. The first readings on LED, we recommend you read before the Academy. For the enthusiast, we have compiled further readings, which are optional.
READINGS ON LED
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2015 – Territorial Economic Development
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2017 – The systemic competitiveness framework particularly on the meso level and its organisations, their role, nature and challenges in Territorial Economic Development
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2018 – The roles and relevance of meso organisations in the context of specific concepts, tools and insights
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2019 - Our current way of embracing economic development
Jenal, Marcus & Cunningham, Shawn. (2013). Mesopartner Working Paper 16: Mesopartner. Gaining systemic insight to strengthen economic development initiatives
Meyer-Stamer, Jörg (2003). Mesopartner Working Paper 4: Mesopartner. Why is Local Economic Development so difficult, and what can we do to make it more effective?
Meyer-Stamer, Jörg (2005). Mesopartner Working Paper 14: Mesopartner. Systemic Competitiveness Revisited
FURTHER READINGS (OPTIONAL)
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2014 – Complexity in Economic Development
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2016 – Green Economic Development
Cunningham, S. & Jenal, M. (2016). Rethinking systemic change: Economic evolution and institutions. Discussion Paper. London: The BEAM Exchange.
Cunningham, S. & Meyer-Stamer, J. (2005). Planning or doing Local Economic Development? Problems with the Orthodox Approach to LED. Africa Insight, Vol. 35(4), pp. 4-14.
Cunningham, S. & Waeltring, F. (2016). Knowledge, Technologies and Innovation for Development in the Agenda 2030: Revisiting Germany's Contribution
Event information & Travel Tips
Please read the practical event information and travel tips document before the Summer Academy.
- Your accommodation booking is check in Sunday 4 July 2021 and check out Friday 9 July 2021.
- The Academy starts Sunday 19:00 with an opening dinner and finish Friday around 15:30.
- Part of the learning experience we will be going out on excursions every evening of the Academy, except for Wednesday night.
- Directions & address of Hotel Grenzfall
Below is a check list preparing for the Academy:
- Ensure you have a valid visa
- Complete the online logistics questionnaire to ensure your accommodation booking is correct
- The final payment is due 5 June 2021
- Upload your two photos for the first day introduction (see below explanation)
- Read the recommended reading material as preparation for the Academy
Preparing for the Summer Academy we would like to ask you to send us two photos -
- One photo showing you in a typical situation at work (e.g at the desk, in the training room, in the field etc.)
- A second photo representing a favourite intervention by you, in which you had been involved personally (and can thus provide details). ‘Favourite’ can refer to success, impact, unique or novel tools and methods applied, a severe problem faced, great insights gained or something you are trying to understand better.
We will use these photos during our group introduction, making it easier for everyone to understand your work and environment. We will also use the intervention photos to propose the selection of a few case studies to facilitate the learning during the Summer Academy by drawing on real examples from the field.
Please upload your photos by 21 June?
During the Academy we will have some of our Mesopartner publications available at a reduced price.
|Value Chain Promotion, Dr Jörg Meyer-Stamer||€10,00|
|Building competitive rural locations, Dr Jörg Meyer-Stamer||€15,00|
|Creating Prosperous Towns, Dr Jörg Meyer-Stamer||€15,00|
|Milestones in a process of innovation, change & development, Edited by Mesopartner||€15,00|
|Understanding Market Failure in an economic development context, Dr Shawn Cunningham||€8,00|
|The fundamentals of innovation system promotion for development practitioners, Dr Shawn Cunningham||€15,00|