Summer Academy Preparation
Dear Summer Academy participant,
We are looking forward to having you at the Academy in Berlin.
On this page, you will find:
- Reading list
- Event information and travel tips
- Photo introduction
- Mesopartner books
For you to prepare, we have listed below some reading material. The first readings on LED, we recommend you read before the Academy. For the enthusiast, we have compiled further reading, which is optional.
Reading on LED
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2015 – Territorial Economic Development
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2017 – The systemic competitiveness framework particularly on the meso level and its organisations, their role, nature and challenges in Territorial Economic Development
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2018 – The roles and relevance of meso organisations in the context of specific concepts, tools and insights
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2019 - Our current way of embracing economic development
Jenal, Marcus & Cunningham, Shawn. (2013). Mesopartner Working Paper 16: Mesopartner. Gaining systemic insight to strengthen economic development initiatives
Meyer-Stamer, Jörg (2003). Mesopartner Working Paper 4: Mesopartner. Why is Local Economic Development so difficult, and what can we do to make it more effective?
Meyer-Stamer, Jörg (2005). Mesopartner Working Paper 14: Mesopartner. Systemic Competitiveness Revisited
Further reading (Optional)
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2014 – Complexity in Economic Development
Mesopartner Annual Reflection 2016 – Green Economic Development
Cunningham, S. & Jenal, M. (2016). Rethinking systemic change: Economic evolution and institutions. Discussion Paper. London: The BEAM Exchange.
Cunningham, S. & Meyer-Stamer, J. (2005). Planning or doing Local Economic Development? Problems with the Orthodox Approach to LED. Africa Insight, Vol. 35(4), pp. 4-14.
Cunningham, S. & Waeltring, F. (2016). Knowledge, Technologies and Innovation for Development in the Agenda 2030: Revisiting Germany's Contribution
Event information & Travel Tips
Please read the practical event information and travel tips document before the Summer Academy.
- The Academy starts Sunday at 19:00 with an opening dinner and finishes Friday at 12:00.
- As part of the learning experience, except Wednesday night, we will go on excursions every evening of the Academy.
- Directions & address of Hotel Grenzfall
Below is a checklist for preparing for the Academy:
- Ensure you have a valid visa
- Complete the online logistics questionnaire to ensure your accommodation booking is correct
- The final payment is due 5 June 2023
- Upload your two photos for the first-day introduction (see explanation further down)
- Read the recommended reading material in preparation for the Academy
Preparing for the Summer Academy, we would like to ask you to send us two photos -
- A photo of you in a typical work situation (e.g. at the desk, in the training room, in the field etc.)
- A second photo of a favourite intervention in which you are or have been involved personally (and can thus provide details). ‘Favourite’ can refer to success, impact, unique or novel tools and methods applied, a severe problem faced, great insights gained or something you are trying to understand better.
We will use these photos during our group introduction, making it easier for everyone to understand your work and environment. We will also use the intervention photos to propose a few case studies to facilitate learning during the Summer Academy by drawing on real examples from the field.
Please upload your photos by 21 June.
Here are some Mesopartner books available at a reduced price at the Academy.
|Value Chain Promotion, Dr Jörg Meyer-Stamer||€10,00|
|Building competitive rural locations, Dr Jörg Meyer-Stamer||€15,00|
|Creating Prosperous Towns, Dr Jörg Meyer-Stamer||€15,00|
|Milestones in a process of innovation, change & development, Edited by Mesopartner||€15,00|
|Understanding Market Failure in an economic development context, Dr Shawn Cunningham||€8,00|
|The fundamentals of innovation system promotion for development practitioners, Dr Shawn Cunningham||€15,00|